Friday, January 27, 2012

Restaurant week: Round 1

When it comes to restaurant week (aka Queens Feast, in Charlotte), there are varied opinions on whether to participate or avoid.  The point of the whole event is to bring out consumers that may not eat out on a regular basis, or that wouldn't necessarily try a certain restaurant otherwise.  Obviously you can't go wrong with $30 for 3 courses, especially when an 8 oz filet at a typical steakhouse runs $30+ to start.  On the other end, this includes the cheap, rude, ignorant characters that neither the staff or surrounding guests would prefer to deal with. Nonetheless, as a sucker for eating out, I continually take full advantage each time Restaurant Week comes around! 

I was very pleased to return to Bonterra for their tasting menu Sunday night. Although I hadn't been there for their Queens Feast before, I've eaten dinner and enjoyed the wine bar a few times.  I describe the atmosphere as reverent (it's in an old church), but for the first time I realized it was because there is no music playing! No music + hushed conversation + small quaint dining room = reverent.  I'm sure Jason and I somehow managed to disrupt that with our antics.

What I appreciate greatly about Bonterra is their extensive wine list, both by bottle and glass.  Not very many places offer the amount of wines by the glass, and here is an exception. I started with the Shug Cabernet ('08), which was immediately inducted into my list of top favorites. Later on I was suggested the Hendry Zinfandel ('07) which was also tasty.

Sundried Tomato Pappardelle


Ah, now on to the food. Our server Jeff was fantastic in helping solve my indecisiveness, and describing the menu to both my date and I.  My first course was a Sundried Tomato Pappardelle,  with winter greens, braised rabbit and jus. Jason decided on a Smoked NC Trout, which had an interesting presentation. The trout was prepared as a mousse, over endive and watercress, and wholegrain mustard (and roe as garnish).  
Lobster tail from oceanic heaven!
 Osso Bucco 













Our entrees were the Osso Bucco Short Rib (grilled radicchio, goat cheese gnocchi, quince and red onion relish), and Fire Roasted Filet Mignon (sweet potato mash, broccoli rabe, demi-glaze) with tempura fried lobster tail. We were both very possessive of our dinner plates, except for the lobster tail which we shared. I'm not usually overly impressed with lobster when I order it, but this one specifically deserves an extra rave!
We must never forget dessert, especially when there is carrot cake involved. Or pecan praline cheesecake. I am only half ashamed to admit I am (supposed to be) on a no-sugar detox until the end of the month.  There was no other option but to compromise, so I ate half of the carrot cake. What happened to the rest of it no one shall ever know... 

Missing: 1/2 of a carrot cake
Look for round 2 in a few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment